Actor-producer Ajay Devgn, who has filed a complaint with the Competition Commission of India (CCI) alleging that the makers of "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" have been blocking the release of his film "Son of Sardaar" in theatres, says his fight is not against Shah Rukh Khan who is playing lead in the movie.
"The fight is not between Shah Rukh and Ajay Devgn and there is no fight between both of us. This is unnecessarily people has created. Both of us are actors. This is Ajay Devgn as a producer, fighting for his right with some other producer and if people are playing with it then it's wrong," said Ajay.
Directed by Ashwni Dhir, "Son of Sardar" features Ajay, Sanjay Dutt, Sonakshi Sinha, and Juhi Chawla, while "Jab Tak hai Jan" stars Anushka Sharma and Katrina Kaif along with SRK.
The complaint was filed before Yash Chopra's death and according to association's rule, one cannot back out after filing the complaint.
"We filed the case on Oct 18th when we hadn't even thought that Yashji will be hospitalised. Main problem was that the timing went wrong. We filed the case long back and as per the law you can't withdraw the case filed with the Competition Commission. My fight is not with them; it is just against right and wrong. Again I am talking about it, but I am not supposed to talk about it."
Ajay moved the CCI, claiming that YRF was using its dominant position to ask exhibitors to dedicate more screens to "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" instead of his movie "Son of Sardaar" - both are coming out on Diwali, Nov 13.
It's do and die situation for Ajay.
"If I release the film on the same day, then people will call me villain and if I don't release it, it's a major loss for us," he told.
"Sadly, post Yashji's death many people pressurised me through media and said Ajay Devgn should delay his film. Till now Rs.80 to Rs.90 crore have been put in the film. Corporates are involved and they are answerable to share-holders. So with all due respect, I thought of releasing it on the same day," he added.
Once the release date is decided, it is not easy for anyone to change it. Ajay says that when he asked others to delay the release of their films, they said it's not feasible.
"When I said ask Aamir Khan to release his film ('Talaash') after two weeks and ask Akshay Kumar to release his film ('Khilade 786') on Christmas or ask Salman Khan to go for January release (for 'Dabangg 2'). So people said that's not possible. So, why only Ajay will have to sacrifice? I don't feel any pressure when I gave this option - sab chup ho gaye na."
Urging media to support him in his fight for justice, Ajay said he is very confident about SOS.
"It's not just a comedy, it's a balance of everything...once you see the film, you will say Sanjay Dutt is the highlight of the film," the 43- year-old said.
Exhibitors can choose any film: SRK on JTHJ, SOS issue
Shah Rukh Khan's "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" releases on the same day as Ajay Devgn's "Son Of Sardaar" and the superstar says he is amused with the row over the two films, especially when everything had been sorted almost a year ago.
Directed by the late Yash Chopra, "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" (JTHJ) is coming out Nov 13 and "Son of Sardaar" (SOS) is also releasing on the same day.
Ajay has filed a complaint with the Competition Commission of India (CCI) alleging that the makers of JTHJ have been blocking the release of his film SOS in certain theatres.
According to SRK, the release date was locked a year ago and the screens were also booked than.
"I find it amusing. This has been decided since a year... They (makers of 'Son of Sardaar') must have also known, so what is the problem then? If you have delayed, then it's not our fault. I just find it wrong," he added.
The 47-year-old also clarified that they have not forced any exhibitor to showcase their film.
"I don't understand all this. I feel that the exhibitors represent the consumers to me. As a business person, I cannot assume that anything has been put on anyone by force. They chose the film," he said.
"We only wish them best and hope that both films do good business," he added.
While director Ashwni Dhir's SOS is a comedy, JTHJ is a romantic drama that has two leading ladies - Anushka Sharma and Katrina Kaif.
Talking about his character in the film, SRK said: "It is about a man who cannot die. Through him we show that love never ceases."
He added: "I think people will really like the film, I don't know in figures (box office collection)."
Post "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", the actor will be busy with Rohit Shetty's "Chennai Express", which also stars Deepika Padukone.
" 'Chennai Express' is there at the moment. I am also discussing two or three more films at the moment," he said.
He plans to start shooting for Farah Khan's "Happy New Year" soon.
CCI rejects Devgn's plea against Yash Raj Films
Competition Commission of India has quashed actor Ajay Devgn's allegation of abuse of dominant position by Yash Raj Films.
Fair trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI) has rejected actor-producer Ajay Devgn's complaint alleging abuse of dominant position by Yash Raj Films (YRF), saying that there are no violations of competition norms in the case.
Ajay Devgn Films Pvt Ltd had moved the CCI, alleging that YRF was using its dominant position to ask exhibitors to dedicate more screens to its own upcoming release, 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan', affecting Devgn's film 'Son of Sardaar'.
'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' stars Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma.
Both the films are releasing on same day - November 13.
"The Commission is prima facie of the opinion that there is no contravention of the provisions of the (Competition) Act in the present case," it said in an order dated November 5.
The CCI said Devgn did not place on record any data related to market share or economic strength to show how the YRF was in a dominant position in the relevant market.
"It was argued by the counsels for the informant that the opposite parties were dominant because Opposite Party was big banner production house and had big name and had given several block buster films. No enterprise can be considered dominant on the basis of big name. Dominance has to be determined as per law on the basis of market share, economic strength and other relevant factors stated under... the Competition Act," the order said.
The Delhi High Court on Friday asked the CCI to "expeditiously" decide on Ajay Devgn Films' complaint that its 'Son of Sardaar' was not getting enough single-screen theatres as Yash Raj Films has used its dominant position for better exhibition of 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan'.
As per the Commission, the grievance of Ajay Devgn Films arose due to fear that it would not get enough theatres for 'Son of Sardaar' because of the agreement between single screen theatres and Yash Raj Films at the time of releasing 'Ek Tha Tiger' earlier this year.
Now Devgn approaches apellate tribunal against YRF
Following rejection from the Competition Commission of India (CCI) regarding their complaint against Yash Raj Films (YRF), alleging monopolistic practices, Ajay Devgn Films (ADF) has now approached the Competition Apellate Tribunal.
"We are shocked by the rejection of our legitimate case by the CCI. We have approached the appellate tribunal against the order," an Ajay Devgn Films spokesperson said in a statement.
ADF complained to the CCI against YRF alleging malpractice in connection with the clash of the release of the former's "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" (JTHJ), with the latter's "Son Of Sardaar" (SOS) on Diwali, Nov 13.
It was alleged that YRF was using its dominant position to ask exhibitors to dedicate more screens to JTHJ instead of SOS.
But the case was rejected Monday by the CCI, which stated there is no contravention of the provisions of the act by the alleged agreement between Yash Raj Films Private Limited and its various associated enterprises.
JTHJ is late filmmaker Yash Chopra's last directorial featuring Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma, while SOS stars Ajay Devgn, Sonakshi Sinha and Sanjay Dutt in key roles.